Port of Kusadasi

The port facility is operated by Ege Liman Isletmeleri (EGEPORTS) since 2003. Nearly 600 calls were utilized in 2008. In 2009 more than 650 are projected.
Please refer to the attached files.

About Kusadasi

The city stands on a bay in the Aegean with the peninsula of Guvercin Ada sticking out into the sea at one end, and the mountain of Kaz Dağı behind.

It is 90 km (56 mi) south of İzmir, the region's largest metropolitan center. It is 71 km (44 mi) from the provincial seat of Aydın situated inland.

Antiquity

The area has been a centre of art and culture since the earliest times and has been settled by many civilizations since being founded by the Leleges people in 3000 BC. Later settlers include the Aeolians in the 11th century BC and Ionians in the 9th century. Originally seamen and traders the Ionians built a number of settlements on this coast including Neopolis.

An outpost of Ephesus in ancient Ionia, the area between the Büyük Menderes and Gediz rivers, the original Neopolis is thought to have been founded on the nearby point of Yılancı Burnu. Later settlements were probably built on the hillside of Pilavtepe, in the district called Andızkulesi today. Kuşadası was a minor port frequented by vessels trading along the Aegean coast. In antiquity it was overshadowed by Ephesus until Ephesus' harbor silted up. From the 7th century BC onwards the coast was ruled by Lydians from their capital at Sardis, then from 546 BC the Persians, and from 334 BC along with all of Anatolia the coast was conquered by Alexander the Great. From then onwards the coastal cities were the centre of the mixed Greek and Anatolian culture called Hellenistic.

The Turkish era

From 1086 the area came under Turkish control and the Aegean ports became the final destination of caravan routes to the Orient. However this arrangement was overthrown by the Crusades and the coast again came under Byzantine control until 1280 when first the Menteşe and then the Aydınoğlu Anatolian Turkish Beyliks took control. Kuşadası was brought into the Ottoman Empire by Mehmet I in 1413. The Ottomans built the city walls and the caravanserai that still stand today.

In 1834 the castle and garrison on the island was rebuilt and expanded, becoming the focus of the town, to the extent that people began to refer to the whole town as Kuşadası (bird island). However in the 19th century, trade declined in favor of İzmir with the opening of the İzmir-Aydın railway, as Kuşadası had no rail connection.

Places of interest

In the town

  • The city walls - There were once three gates. One remains today.
  • Kaleiçi Camii - the mosque built in 1618 for Grand Vizier Öküz Kara Mehmed Pasha.
  • The Öküz Mehmet Pasha caravanserai is near the docks. It was built in 1618 as a strong-room for the goods of seamen.
  • Guvercin Ada - the peninsula at the end of the bay, has a castle and swimming beaches, including a private beach and cafe with a view back across the bay to the harbour of Kuşadası. There are public beaches at the back of the peninsula, towards the open sea.
  • Kirazli Village - traditional Turkish koy 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from Kusadasi.
  • Yılancı Burnu - a second peninsula beyond Güvercin Ada. Possibly the location of the original settlement of Neopolis. Some walls are visible. There are beaches and beach clubs here.
  • Pygale - 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) north, the small point behind Hotel Pigale. Once refuge of Agamemnon. Still to be excavated.
  • Also several aqua-parks with wave-pools, white-water slides are located near the town: the largest are NBGS International's Aqua Fantasy, along with Adaland and Aqua Land.
  • Ladies Beach - near town. Named because it was once segregated for female bathers. Now open to all.
  • Kadıkalesi - Venetian/Byzantine castle, 10 kilometres (6.2 mi)along the Kuşadası-Davutlar road,
  • Panionium - 25 km (16 mi) south of Kuşadası, on the Davutlar-Güzelçamlı road. Once the central meeting place of the Ionian League. The ruins are in poor condition and their authenticity is disputed.
  • Dilek Peninsula National Park. South of Kuşadası, begins at the town of Güzelçamlı. Bays and beaches, including the bay of Kalamaki.
   Print Friendly Page
      Request Detailed Information
If you need more information about our services, please feel free to contact us.

Full Name :  
Company :  
E-Mail :  
Phone :  
Country / City :  
Your Message :  
        

   Pictures of The Port

    Map



View Merkez Deniz Acenteliği in a larger map
Merkez Deniz Acenteliği ve Tic. A.Ş. - A member of the Inchcape Shipping Services Group - All Rights Reserved 2014